TGGS
Torquay Girls Grammar School

30 Shiphay Lane

Torquay TQ2 7DY


01803 613215

admin@tggsacademy.org


Y7-11 Absence: 01803 653 750

TGGS Timeline

1915   Miss Mary Jackson appointed Headmistress

April 1915

  Official opening of Torquay Girls' Secondary School in Barton Road in a building shared with the Boys' School.  102 girls on the roll
1917  

First Sports Day held. School houses were White, Red, Blue and Green

Sept 1918

 

Opening of Preparatory Department for junior boys and girls aged between 5 and 10 years

June 1928

 

School changed its name to the Torquay Grammar School and adopted the town coat of arms as its badge

July 1934

 

Miss Jackson retired

Sept 1934

 

Miss Caroline M. Wilkinson appointed Headmistress

1935

 

Green and white dresses introduced as summer uniform

May 1936

 

School celebrated 21st anniversary with a picnic tea on the new site at Shiphay

Dec 1936

 

Careers Fund inaugurated

Sept 1937

 

Work began on new school building at Shiphay

May 1939

 

School moved to new building in Shiphay Lane

July 1939

 

New building officially opened by Dame Georgiana Buller

Sept 1939  

TGSG welcomed 147 evacuees in Autumn term from over 100 different schools

Feb 1940

 

TGSG has to cope with an extra 200 pupils and their own staff evacuated from Paddington & Maida Vale High School (PMVHS), London.  650 pupils in total.

Sept 1941

 

Two Shiphay church halls acquired as extra accommodation

1941

 

500 TGSG pupils plus 200 PMVHS pupils in school.

July 1943

 

PMVHS evacuees returned to London.  480 pupils in TGSG.

July 1944

 

Dagenham High School group arrived with an extra 35 girls and 1 teacher

1944

 

School houses of Blue, Green, Red and White were renamed as Bickleigh, Buckland, Compton, Lydford, Pomeroy and Rougemont

Jan 1945

 

583 pupils in main school and 224 in Prep department - 807 total

May 1945

 

Dagenham High School returned home

July 1945

 

Preparatory department closed, with exception of 10 year olds who joined the main school for one year as Form 1 (13 girls and 24 boys)

Aug 1945

 

Structural alterations to the kitchen (greatly enlarged)

Sept 1946

 

630 pupils in main school

1948

 

Work begins on new 'Dining Room Hut' in the east triangle

March 1949

 

New school dining room opened

July 1949

 

Additional field in use temporarily

Sept 1951

 

Store by West entrance converted into new 6th form room

1954

 

Lecture room converted to 6th form lab

1957

 

Miss Wilkinson retired

1957

 

Miss Margaret C. Robertson appointed Headmistress

1957

 

New 6th form block and biology lab built in west triangle

1965

 

TGSG Golden Jubilee celebrations

1965-67

 

Windows put in school corridors, including 3 stained glass windows commemorating TGSG Golden Jubilee

1969

 

School houses changed from 6 to 4, renamed Ansteys, Corbyn, Elbury and Redgate

1969

 

Miss Simpson appointed Deputy Headmistress

School buildings fitted with oil central heating

Two new 6th form study rooms opened off each end of library

Two more stained glass windows added to corridors

1971

 

620 pupils

Mosaic murals produced by 6th form

1972

 

660 pupils

6th form allowed to wear trousers to school

1975

 

Miss Robertson retired

1976

 

Dr Mavis Beal appointed Headmistress

1978-79

 

Acquisition of Shiphay Manor as Sixth Form Annexe

1980

 

Dr Beal retired

1981

 

Mrs Mary Cross appointed Headmistress

1982

 

New biology lab.  Chemistry and physics labs refurbished

1983

 

Torquay Boys' Grammar School moved to Shiphay site

1990

 

TGSG purchased house in Tregourez, Brittany

Miss Simpson, Deputy Headmistress, retired after 28 years at TGS

1995

 

Haystacks building opened

TGSG 80th anniversary celebration

1996

 

Burton Sports Hall opened

Mrs Cross retired

1996

 

Mrs Susan M Roberts appointed Head Teacher

1998

 

Refurbishment of second Chemistry Laboratory

2001

 

Environmental garden opened

2002

 

TGSG achieved Foundation Status

2003

 

New school dining room opened

New all-weather pitch ready for use

New building for biology lab in west triangle

2004

 

TGSG achieved Specialist Humanities School status

Work began on new Humanities building to include new school library / Learning Resources Centre

2006

 

New Learning Resources Centre opened

Work began on new Music/Drama building and new Sixth Form Centre

July 2006

 

Mrs Roberts retired

2006-2007

 

Acting Head Teachers: Mr R Ashcroft and Mrs E Cross

Sept 2007

 

Dr N Smith appointed Head Teacher

2008

 

New Drama/Music Suite and Sixth Form Centre opened

2011

 

TGGS becomes an Academy

The school is judged "Outstanding" in all categories by Ofsted

2013

 

TGGS Cavanna Sports Hall opened

2014

  Lecture Theatre completed

2015

 

Centenary celebrations including the building of Amphitheatre and Archive

Expansion to 5 Form Entry with addition of new House: Cross

 

Call us on 01803 613215 to arrange a tour
or email us: admin@tggsacademy.org

FOLLOW US
flickr
facebook

log in | © 2017 Torquay Girls Grammar School.